Teclast X89 Installation Guide
Note about this guide
This is a translated version of the Installation Guide of Teclast X89 device.
You can found a copy of the original document here
The following steps you will do under your own responsability. These steps are provided as it, and there is no guarantee of any kind.
DO THE STEPS OF THIS GUIDE ONLY AS A LAST OPTION FOR RECOVERY YOUR DEVICE.
Advices before flashing
Previous on doing the flash process, (double) ensure that the device drivers are correctly installed BEFORE start the flashing process.
If drivers are not installed or incorrect loaded, you may damage your device.
Avoid using Windows 8.x for flashing. Usually, android drivers get some troubles with this O.S.
The process explained on this guide is based on Windows 7.
Avoid using USB 3.0 Ports. Some android flashing tools or drivers have some troubles when try to flash using this kind of ports. In general, until the drivers and software for flashing evolve, ensure to use USB 2.0 ports for all these kind of process.
- Before installation, please read carefully the steps in this tutorial;
- This tutorial is intended for installation for dual system BIOS that are not damaged by incorrect BIOS update.
- The installation of the system will clear (partitioning and format) all data disks, backup important data before proceed;
- The installation process takes approximately 30-40 minutes. For this reason, please ensure your device is fully charged before proceeding.
- Following flashing steps for Android, and then proceed with Windows isntallation. You must follow the steps in the order of this guide for succesful installing both systems on the device.
When you property flashed the Android part and get fully funcional device on android, follow with the steps for installing Windows. DO NOT DO IN OTHER ORDER.
- Go to Taipower official website, enter the machine back shell ID (for Teclast X89, the ID is E7ED), download the corresponding system package and when you downloaded all the files, extract the Flashing tool.
- Prepare Two or more USB-8G capacity
- Prepare a USB HUB with an external power supply device;
- Prepare a USB keyboard
Update: I generated a mirror for people that can´t access to the official website. (note: always try to download from the official site in first instance):
Teclast X89 (E7ED) Files (Mirror)
Note: If you want to flash only the Android firmware, then you can omit points 2, 3 and 4.
Steps for Android Flashing
For flashing Android firmware
- Open the "Android System Upgrade Tools" folder, and install programs in the following order:
- First install iSocUSB-Driver-Setup-1.2.0.exe file;
- install IntelAndroidDrvSetup1.5.0.exe file;
- Finally, install ManufacturingFlashTool_Setup_6.0.43.exe file;
- After the above installation is successful, the copy "Upgrade Tool" folder CUSTOM_CONFIG.INI files to C: \ Program Files \ Intel \ Manufacturing Flash Tool directory.
- Programs must be installed in the above order for proper working upgrade tool
- keep the default installation settings and installation path
- After installing in correct order, you will get an icon on your desktop (Figure 1). Be sure to following the previous steps.
- After the installation is complete, run the "Manufacturing Flash Tool" and go to File-Settings option
In the next screen, in SOC Devices section, set the VID =8087 and PID = 0A65
In the Android devices set the VID = 8087 and PID = 09EF
Check the red boxes on the following screen for guide to you to change these settings, then save and close the program "Manufacturing Flash Tool Settings".
Note: This guide is for Teclast X89 device. If you're flashing another device, be sure on the settings you must provide on this screen (check the documentation for flashing)
Steps for Windows Install
- Creaton of WinPE Boot Disk
- Insert the first USB drive on the computer, right-click the USB drive and select "Format"
- In the format dialog, for "File System" select FAT32 and click "Start" to format the drive.
- Making installation disk of Windows system
- Insert the second USB drive on the computer, right-click the USB drive and select "Format"
- In the format dialog, for "File System" select NTFS and click "Start" to format the drive.
- After format, go to the downloaded "X89_ (DM) dual system -Windows8.1- system installation files (images)" folder and copy the "images" folder on the root of the USB drive, as shown below;
- For use the created drivers for installing Windows on your dual system, do the following steps:
- Completely shutdown your device. Plug a USB HUB and connect the two USB drives you created previously on this USB HUB.
- Short press the power button to boot (normal boot), and then kicquly press repeat the "Delete" (supr) key to enter the bios as shown below interface.
- Move with the arrow keys to the right, to "Save & Exit" TAB, as shown below.
- Use the arrow keys for move down to "RestoreDefaults" option, press the Enter key, and then in the pop-up menu select "YES" and press Enter, as shown below.
- Go to "Boot" tab (to the left)
- Select "Boot Option # 1" menu, press the Enter key
- After you save the BIOS settings, the Tablet PC will automatically reboot into USB-Boot Drive mode, the machine will automatically copy the Windows system files and install it. the process is automated and don´t requires manual operation.
- At this point, Windows system has been installed. On boot, select the corresponding system boot OS to enter to the system.
Extended guideThe following guide is not part of the official installation guide, but i consider may be useful for those who want to follow the instructions for isntalling windows on the device.
Refreshing or changing the language (wipe out chinese texts)
For solving this is very simple. Following the directions on this page, you can "refresh" the language of your windows.
- Open magic band (swipe from right to left), and select Change PC Settings
- On the new screen, if you're in chinese language is the option 7 from top to bottom ("Time and language" option)
- In the following menu, select the last option ("Region and language")
- Now, you can add ("+") another language. If you're using in english you can´t refresh at this point, but you must add another language (Spanish, as example)
- You now have two languages on your system, English and Spanish. and options (buttons) are in chinese yet.
- If you select english, there is no much options for do there. For this reason you must select Spanish for now
- There are 3 buttons in "Spanish" option. Select the middle of them (options)
- In the next screen, select the "Download" button. The system will download the language package. This may take some minutes
- When language is downloaded and installed, back to previous screen (where is the two languages, english and spanish)
- Select Spanish again. Now select the first button (set as primary language)
- Now, you must log off (or restart) your tablet.
- Next reboot the system will be completely in spanish. Now, go a do the same steps for changing language, but now select English, and hit the "Set as primary language". Reboot
- Now your system is fully in English
You must do these steps for refreshing english language, because first time is configured as primary language (english), but many texts are still in chinese. For this reason you must change completely to another language first (spanish as example) and then again change to english, to get all texts refreshed in english.
Note that there may be few applications still in chinese, such Microsoft Office 360. As i understand, you can delete them (uninstall) and reinstall from the market, to get the correct language installed.
Setting boot options on the device
The device is configured by default for running in the last operating system you booted.
For selecting the operating system, you have two ways:
- Method 1: Using key combination.
When you turn on your device, press VOL- & VOL+ for select operating system.
This method may be not clear, and a little bit tricky, because if you start with these buttons at the same time, the device will enter in flash state. (you must press VOL+ & VOL-, after powering on)
- Method 2: Setting the boot options for showing a OS menu
I prefer this another method, because is more clear and easy to understand and use.
For this, we must enter on the BIOS (UEFI Firmware Settings) of the device. You will need a keyboard attached to the device (with MicroUSB OTG adaptator cable. You can´t use a bluetooth keyboard for this)
At this point, the device enter in advanced recovery mode.
At this moment, the device will enter in UEFI settings. Use arrow keys for move between options and screens.
Move to the right, to "Boot"
The first screen is the default params for this screen (don´t take care about Boot options priorities for now)
Change Setup Promp Timeout from 1 to other value (i set to 6 seconds). This is the time that the device will allow to you to press "Supr" key for entering the UEFI settings.
And set "Quiet Boot" to "Disabled". This setting will let you see an "American Megatrends" logo, that will clue to you that can press the "Supr" key.
Now, move to "Save & Exit", select "Save Changes and Reset"
Confirm with "YES"
Now, when you boot your device will see the following screens:
American Megatrends Logo (you can press "Supr" key for entering UEFI configuration)
Operating System selection
In the bottom of this screen there is a progress bar. If you don´t select manually any of the options, the device will boot automatically in the last selected operating system (this menu will select automatically the last selected operating system you booted last time)
For change between options, press "VOL-"
For select (and boot) press "VOL+"
Errors on flashing the device
There are some errors that may occur when you try to flashing the device (Android steps)
Flashing tool stops the flashing process
One of the most frequent that people mentoned to me is when the flashing tool starts the flashing process, get stuck near to 7~10% of the process.
On most of cases (all of them really) this is due the Windows Drivers are not properly loaded.
Ensure the drivers are correctly loaded on windows before trying to flash the device.
Flashing tool show a MBR error or HDD error (or similar)Note: This is an advanced guide, and only must be used if you tried any other way to recover your device. Following these steps is highly probably you will full brick your device.
There are some situations when the flashing tool cannot handle some states of the device.
On my case, when flashed the device with this guide, i get stucked around 20% of the process, because the status of the internal storage, don´t allow to the flashing tool to continue.
For solve this situation, i opened the flash script file (flash-dualboot.xml) that use the flashing tool, and realize that there are some commented steps on the script.
If these lines was uncommented, flashing tool keep reporting the same error.
The sections commented are the following:
<!-- <command> <string>fastboot oem start_partitioning</string> <timeout>60000</timeout> <retry>2</retry> <description>Start partitioning</description> <mandatory>1</mandatory> </command> <command> <string>fastboot flash /tmp/partition.tbl $partition_table_file</string> <timeout>60000</timeout> <retry>2</retry> <description>Push the new partition table to the device.</description> <mandatory>1</mandatory> </command> <command> <string>fastboot oem partition /tmp/partition.tbl</string> <timeout>60000</timeout> <retry>2</retry> <description>Apply the new partition scheme.</description> <mandatory>1</mandatory> </command> -->
<!-- <command> <string>fastboot erase logs</string> <timeout>60000</timeout> <retry>2</retry> <description>Erase 'logs' partition.</description> <mandatory>1</mandatory> </command> --> <!-- <command> <string>fastboot oem stop_partitioning</string> <timeout>60000</timeout> <retry>2</retry> <description>Stop partitioning.</description> <mandatory>1</mandatory> </command> -->
Open a command line window, go to the directory where you unpack the following file:
- X89 (E7ED)-(DM)双系统-Android4.4.4-V1.06版固件.rar
for avoiding problems, rename the directory to
For sure we re on the correct directory, you must see the following files:
The flash-dualboot.xml file have some commands that we will replace their variables for the local files on the directory.
fastboot flash /tmp/partition.tbl $partition_table_file
We will replace the $partition_table_file for the file that we can deduce from the directory. This case will be:
fastboot flash /tmp/partition.tbl partition.tbl
Exec manual script
Now, that we understand what we are doing, there is the full set of instructions for manually flash the device (exec each of these commands, step by step):
fastboot flash /tmp/partition.tbl partition.tblfastboot oem partition /tmp/partition.tblfastboot erase cachefastboot erase systemfastboot erase datafastboot erase factoryfastboot erase configfastboot erase logsfastboot oem stop_partitioning
fastboot oem start_partitioningfastboot oem wipe ESP
Until here, we was create a new partition definition, and clean each partition.
Now, the script follows with:
fastboot flash fastboot droidboot.imgfastboot flash boot boot.imgfastboot flash recovery recovery.imgfastboot flash system system.imgfastboot continue
And at this point you get your device flashed. for finishing, do this:
and the device will restart.
After this you can follow the guide for installing windows, but previous to this, do the rooting of the device (check the following section) for ensure all is working fine.
Device Rooting (Android)
Disclaimer: The following steps you will do under your own responsability. These steps are provided as it, and there is no guarantee of any kind.
Rooting the device is simple and fast. Fot this, i used a Toolbox for Teclast X98Air device, that works ok with this too (source on XDA forums).
- Download the X98 Toolbox (se notes about this tool)
- Uncompress the downloaded file.
- On the uncompressed dir, there is a file called "Root Me.cmd". run it.
- Follow the steps on screen.
- You get your device rooted!
Notes about X98 Toolbox.There is a main menu for this toolbox "1_Toolbox.cmd". You can run it and check their options, but i recommend to avoid creating (or almost, using the created) a USB Thumb for installing Windows 8 on the device.
The script used on this Thumb is an automatized and unatetnded installation of the system. If you test this thumb on your device, this will be formated, repartitioned and install a full copy of the X98Air windows system on your tablet.
This procedure WILL NOT ASK TO YOU anything. directly will erase your device. If you don´t know what are you doing, DO NOT TRY RUNNING THIS THUMB DIRECTLY ON YOUR DEVICE UNLES YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
The insalled operating system is not running fine. You must fix many things, install drivers, fix rotation screen (if you install, then you must "fix" the rotation, because is -90º rotated)
After rooting, you can remove chinese bloatware, but DO NOT REMOVE the app with a big M as icon. This is part of the dual-boot system of the device, and if you delete, you will lost the way to enter on Windows.
This is the app (their name is in chinese) that you must keep on the system for proper work.
Issue when battery get 100% of Charge
There is an issue when the device get 100% of battery charge, There appears a message of "systemui" have an error, and the launcher reboots constantly.
This problem occur when the device is over 99% of battery charge. When the device reach the 99%, the system turn stable and there is no more problems or error messages.
Thanks to suitengu from XDA forum, we can fix this problem. Extracting few files, systemui.apk and systemui.odex from Teclast X98Air3G firmware, and replacing on the device, the problem is solved.
Note: You need to root your device previously.
- Download the file X98_Air3G(C6J6)_v2.01_systemui.zip (Mirror) and unpack (there are two files, systemui.apk and systemui.odex)
- Use Root Explorer or ES File Explorer (with Root enabled), and copy the 2 systemui files on "/system/" directory.
- Set permissions rw- r- r- for these two files (Owner: Read and Write. Group: Read, Others: Read).
- Until now, we setup permissions for these two files, on a temporal location (system).
- Now, cut systemui.odex from "/system/" and paste in "/system/priv-app/". Take note, the .odex must be de first
- cut systemui.apk from "/system" and paste in "/system/priv-app".
- Now, systemui will continuously crash and the system become unstable. This is normal. Force shutdown the device, pressing (and keep) the Power button until the device turn off.
- On the next boot, the device will be fixed.
Note: "Never instal a system app by the normal way, it does not work and can bug you system."
Fix for Screen Autorotate
If you do a clean installation of Windows, you will note that first time you will need a mouse / keyboard for giving some data to the installation. at this point, the device is running without most drivers.
You must feed the installer and wait for windows normal start. After this, the device will start downloading some updates, and after this start to download drivers.
If not, you can go to device manager, select any of the devices that are without drivers (except those on unknown devices), and do a "update driver automatically". after this, the device start downloading and installing most of the device drivers.
After installing (few boot you will need), the device will become fully operational (sound, touch, etc), but the autorotation is not working.
For solve this, first you must donwload the drivers.
You can go to Kionix page. Kionix is the manufacturer of the sensor chip.
unce you are on Downloads page, on the first combo select "Windows 7/8/10", and click on "apply" button.
now, there are the current drivers available for the device. Download this and then install.
reboot the system.
after rebooting, you get autorotation enabled on the device, but the portrait orientation is wrong (180º)
for solving this, simply go to registry and enter the following data:
(add a binary value)
(you can download the .reg file with this modification from here)
reboot and voilá! you get fully operational screen auto-orientation on the device!
Hope this translated guide will be useful for you.
Apologize any translation mistakes.